[0.14.19] Game hangs in main menu

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
marcotc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.14.19] Game hangs in main menu

Post by marcotc »

My game freezes when the main menu appears.
I can't click on anything, and Windows will say Factorio is not responding after a while.

Just installed Factorio through Steam on a brand new computer, no mods. Other Steam games work fine. I've tried erasing everything (local files and configs at %appdata%/factorio), but didn't work.
I've tried viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9300, to no avail.
I've attached two of my logs.

Thank you very much!
Attachments
factorio-current-OpenGL.log
OpenGL
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
factorio-current-Direct3D.log
Direct3D
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.14.19] Game hangs in main menu

Post by kovarex »

The fact that it doesn't crash bug freezes is weird indeed.
I have no idea of what is happening, so this is shot in the dark, but if you could start factorio from console and try this:

Code: Select all

bin/x64/factorio --create saves/test
bin/x64/factorio --load-game saves/test.zip
This way, you can try to start the game without using the menu. Let us know what happens.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hi, could you please download Process Explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... lorer.aspx and use it to create minidump of Factorio process when it is frozen?
Just find Factorio process in Process Explorer, right click it, select Create Dump and then Create minidump. Save the .dmp file, zip it and upload it here, please.

There were similar bug reports ( 31531, 31966 ) where players described same problem as you have, but it started to work as suddenly as it got broken.
Other person had the same problem, but we didn't find anything wrong from their minidumps ( 33534 ). Also it was playable when started with administrator priviledges. It fixed itself briefly after Factorio update but then got broken again.

Then there were two people with Portugase Windows 7 ( 34998, 35485 ). The first one reported it started to work after Factorio update, second one said they had problems with other games too (not just Factorio) and reinstalling Windows fixed it.

Bottom line is - we don't know what is causing it (therefore have no idea how to fix it) and it usually fixes itself. Your minidumps might help us to tackle this issue.

marcotc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by marcotc »

Thank you very much for reaching out Factorio staff!
I think we nailed down the problem to an external process hanging the game.

It seems like G-Buster Browser Defense, gbpsv.exe, was holding the game hostage. This software is required to be installed by some big banks in Brazil, so that would explain two other Portuguese Windows 7 users with a similar issue. In fact, viewtopic.php?t=34998 seems to be running G-Buster on his screenshot. (You might have to run Task Manager as an Administrator to see it, if you have it installed)

This process is one of those "hard-to-kill" ones, so I had to use a tool to kill it (I used https://www.processblocker.com/, personally).

It's a piece of software that is supposed to constantly protected your computer, like an anti-virus, but it causes so much headache: 100% CPU hogging, holding other programs hostage... If you google gbpsv.exe, the top results are "how to remove gbpsv.exe".

My problems hasn't returned since then. I hope this helps others.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Thanks for the info, it might be handy in the future.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”