Topics and discussion about specific mods
AmbulatoryCortex
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.12.26] Longer Trains 0.0.1 [12.26+]

Post by AmbulatoryCortex »

Longer Trains

Description:
  • This mod makes long trains more viable.
LONG DESCRIPTION
Details:
  • Name: LongerTrains (this should be exactly the same as in info.json!)
  • MOD Version: 0.0.1
  • Factorio Version: 12.26
  • Latest Released: 10 Feb 2016
  • Author: Ambulatory Cortex
  • Tags: Train, Locomotive
  • License:
    LICENSE

Pictures
Train
Change Log
Version-0.0.1
Attachments
LongerTrains_0.0.1.zip
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Last edited by ssilk on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title according to rules

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Longer Trains 0.0.1 [12.26+]

Post by seronis »

Is this a higher tier engine or a replacement? (would be better NOT as a replacement)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

This mod changes the locomotive to have 10 times the mass and 6 times the power of the vanilla one, therefore adding more cargo wagons to it doesn't slow it down that much.

It also changes the fuel stack size to 17 (17x50 coal = 850 coal) instead of the default 3.
seronis wrote:Is this a higher tier engine or a replacement? (would be better NOT as a replacement)
It replaces the original locomotive.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

BenediktMagnus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BenediktMagnus »

Very interesting mod!

But I think seronis is right: Why not another train with that values instead of a replacement? You could use both trains and don't miss the standard one.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

A tiny change to connection_distance would make this compatible with Train position and length fix

Besides that, I love me some long trains. It's nice not having to need multiple locomotives to achieve that.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

AmbulatoryCortex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AmbulatoryCortex »

BenediktMagnus wrote:Very interesting mod!

But I think seronis is right: Why not another train with that values instead of a replacement? You could use both trains and don't miss the standard one.
I think I might do this. I'll go beg for a cargo locomotive spriteset.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

MasterBuilder wrote:A tiny change to connection_distance would make this compatible with Train position and length fix

Besides that, I love me some long trains. It's nice not having to need multiple locomotives to achieve that.
My mod is fully compatible with Longer Trains now. If Ambulatory changes the mod to have a whole new locomotive instead of changing the baseline one then I can easily update my mod to support this one.

Regarding Longer Trains itself, 14 fuel slots is far too many. It goes off the screen in many cases since the slots can't split to have some below the top slots. 5 slots would accomplish the want to add more fuel slots and still be overkill on keeping them fueled. It would take an unplayably long train line to even use 5 fuel slots let alone 14, and at that point having a fuel station would work out much better anyway.

Ambulatory, there's the baseline cargo wagon spritesheet in the game files. How did you want to use them?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

daniel34 wrote:This mod changes the locomotive to have 10 times the mass and 6 times the power of the vanilla one, therefore adding more cargo wagons to it doesn't slow it down that much.
But it doesn't improve the brakes, so the train will accelerate up to 140 km/s while at the starting station and then use the brakes all the way to my outpost because of its weak brakes. Slowing down slower than acceleration is really weird and unrealistic. And it takes a looong time for such a short distance since it's average speed is 70 km/s. And it is really frustrating to see it go at less than walking speed for half a minute. My outpost is fairly close and I only have 2 wagons but that doesn't refute my points. I didn't try the mod to nerf trains. Will disable until it works as expected. Thanks for trying though q:

Isn't it possible to change the weight of wagons instead though? Then it would work with mods that adds new locomotives also (like the "more locomotives" mod). Haven't looked at how the modding API works yet though...
My mods: Capsule Ammo | HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting | ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines
Some other creations: Combinassembly Language GitHub w instructions and link to run it in your browser | 0~drain Laser

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

Yes, it is possible to change the weight of wagons. However, wagons also have brakes on them so the breaking_force entry would need to be increased.

sckuzzle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.26] Longer Trains 0.0.1 [12.26+]

Post by sckuzzle »

Extending what Jackielope said:

To "fix" this mod, go into mods\LongerTrains_0.0.1\prototypes\entity\ and edit longertain.lua with your favorite text editor. Change "braking_force = 10" to "braking_force = 60" (or 100).

This will make it so that trains no longer spend 10 seconds coasting at light walking speed, congesting stations.

Return to “Mods”