[15.18] Inserters don't insert to chests when chest filter

Bugs that are actually features.
blindpiggy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[15.18] Inserters don't insert to chests when chest filter

Post by blindpiggy »

I'm just noticing this with this patch, but when we change a chest stack filter (red X at the bottom right) from say 1 stack to the entire chest, inserters stop inserting into that chest. What's more strange is that it will stop mid stack. So say we wanted to increase train rails from 1 stack to the max in our mall. We make the change and the inserter will stop immediately, even if there's a half stack or 1 item in the chest. Workaround is just replacing the inserter, and it begins working fine again. We found this to be true with all inserters and all chests in our game.

Vanilla
Multiplayer game
About 150 hours in
[15.18]
Attachments
Actual KNM.zip
Save File
(23.86 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [15.18] Inserters don't insert to chests when chest filter

Post by Shokubai »

If a chest has multiple types of items in it and an inserter pulling items from that chest stops while holding items for any reason at all it will hold that item FOREVER. This has been around quite a while and I wish it would be changed. This is why it's generally best to limit 1 item per chest for train loading.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I can't reproduce it. I limit the chest to 1 stack. It stops. I increase the limit. It starts to work.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

It would be helpful if you would provide a save with the player right next to the chest in question and describe exactly what is happening when you do what. Can you reproduce this with a new save?

blindpiggy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by blindpiggy »

I'll see if I have any chests around that I can duplicate this on, and send a save with the player next to it.

Just to clarify, this was only happening on chests that prior to 15.18 had a chest limit, and once upgraded to 15.18, we increased the limit. Changing a chest that has already had an inserter change or a chest that's already had its chest size changed, doesn't seem to be an issue. This issue has nothing to do with trains, just chests and inserters. The inserters in question were coming directly from an assembly machine.

That being said, I'll try to get an example when I get home this afternoon, 6PM CST. Thanks for your patience, sorry I didn't catch the reply to this post earlier.

blindpiggy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by blindpiggy »

Sorry, I tried to recreate it, and I couldn't either. Sorry for wasting your time.

blindpiggy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by blindpiggy »

Found one!

Next to the player is a Passive Provider Chest. Currently it's should be feeding the Fast Belt into the Express Machine, that's the only thing holding it back. But it's not, it's just waiting for something. If I replace the inserter it works. The save is just before I replace the inserter.

Thanks!
Attachments
Bug Report.zip
Should be right next to the player when you load in.
(39.17 MiB) Downloaded 70 times

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

blindpiggy wrote:Next to the player is a Passive Provider Chest. Currently it's should be feeding the Fast Belt into the Express Machine, that's the only thing holding it back. But it's not, it's just waiting for something. If I replace the inserter it works. The save is just before I replace the inserter.
That inserter has a logistic condition which only enables it when there are < 51 fast transport belts in the logistic network. Since there are more fast transport belts in your network (4.0k) the inserter is disabled.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

blindpiggy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by blindpiggy »

Dammit, new to the game, having started on circuitry yet. Was a blueprint. Sorry for the false positive.

Return to “Not a bug”