Unable to delete items from Quickbar using mouse shortcut.

Bugs that are actually features.
BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Unable to delete items from Quickbar using mouse shortcut.

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

I don't know if it is because the middle mouse button is not registering properly, or if it is because of some update that changed mouse input behavior, but I cannot use the mouse shortcut to clear items from my Quickbar slots.

I cannot find the item in the Settings that specifically relates to the Quickbar slots itself, even though a tooltip appears telling me to use the scroll wheel middle click to delete them.

Please update the Quickbar delete option to optionally use a keyboard selection, as I do not have a spare mouse to test with and I do not know if the mouse scroll wheel is having issues as it seems to work fine with other applications.

Additionally, please consider adding in mouse and keyboard testing support that works within the game, and that can be used to identify potential issues with a mouse function or keyboard shortcut.

Cheers ...

BrickVoidFCT

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Unable to delete items from Quickbar using mouse shortcut.

Post by Kyralessa »

You know that you can customize the controls, right?

I have the same issue, where my middle mouse button doesn't clear quickbar items properly.

But my mouse has several buttons, so I just reassigned that action to a different button.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Are you using any mods? If so, can you please post a save file where you’re having this issue?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

I am using the "Better Waterfill" mod from 3 years ago. Disabling or removing it changes nothing, I currently have a broken Quickbar that has two "Transport Belt" shortcuts on it, each with a quantity of 1.

How does one share a savegame these days? It's been so long I've forgotten where they've been saved.

Cheers ...

BrickVoidFCT

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

BrickVoidFCT wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:12 pm
How does one share a savegame these days? It's been so long I've forgotten where they've been saved.
See 3638.

BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

OK I found the file finally, after someone pointed me to the correct way to resolve it's location.

Here is the latest autosave from the game I am playing. It is currently quite primitive, as this is all early game.

This is just commentary about the way I play the Factorio game: Biters are not going to worry about pollution or expansion, or anything that would trigger an attack, as I never seemed to be able to play fast enough on default settings to combat them at all. I'm not sure why that is the case. Since Factorio game settings allow for biters that don't cause trouble unless I go out of my way to find them, and which do not evolve, I opted for that instead.

The Quickbar as shown in the autosave has 2 identical shortcuts to the same type of item.

I can't seem to remap the mouse function to any other mouse key. This gaming mouse has several possibilities, but either they are not being detected, or I need a new mouse.

Cheers ...

BrickVoidFCT
Attachments
_autosave3.zip
(3.24 MiB) Downloaded 24 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Can you go to settings -> controls and click the red "reset" button in the top right? After that, click ok. And see if it works for you then?

BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

That did not fix the issue.

I also am unable to find a shortcut in the Settings menu that relates to the Quickbar shortcut deletion. If you know of it please post a screenshot of it circled.

Kindly list this as an issue that needs to be fixed by the next update.

Whilst I dislike having to hire lawyering services I need a Quickbar that functions properly and as described. It would therefore be in the best interests of the Factorio devs to have this shortcut fixed and working as intended, without me having to hire a lawyering service.

Cheers ...

BrickVoidFCT

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Without a way to reproduce what you describe and the fact that it works perfectly for me, all of my coworkers, and seemingly virtually everyone else (or we would have thousands of people here reporting that it does not work), I can only assume the issue is something on your end and that I can not do anything else to resolve it.

You are free to request a refund of the game through steam if that’s where you purchased the game.

BrickVoidFCT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BrickVoidFCT »

I resolved the issue. There was something wrong with the old mouse. I purchased a new mouse and the function in question works now.

Many thanks for trying to help out anyway.

I shall resort to buying a new mouse if the issue returns.

I still maintain, however, that deletion of shortcuts from the hotbar should not be exclusively tied to mouse functions.

It is neither necessary nor desirable to have functions that depend on only one component of a computer system. Redundancy built into alternate means of doing something is beneficial to a game such as Factorio.

Cheers ...

BrickVoidFCT

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

BrickVoidFCT wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 pm
I also am unable to find a shortcut in the Settings menu that relates to the Quickbar shortcut deletion. If you know of it please post a screenshot of it circled.
It is called "Toggle filter". If you hover over a filled quickbar slot, it will say "Middle-click to clear shortcut". You can then search for "middle-click" in Settings > Controls to find all the controls bound to "Middle-click" and you will probably find "Toggle filter" there.

Threatening with lawyers is not the standard way to go about getting your bug report expedited... :shock:

I also don't see why the devs need to make Factorio work with just a keyboard and no mouse... no would want to play like that, so why bother making it work for just this function? Additionally, you can in fact play Factorio with neither mouse nor keyboard, if you connect a game controller.
My mods
Content: Lunar Landings | Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Return to “Not a bug”