[1.1.98] Pumpjacks keep working even though adjacent pipe is 100% full

Bugs that are actually features.
GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.1.98] Pumpjacks keep working even though adjacent pipe is 100% full

Post by GregoriusT »

My Pumpjacks keep working even though the adjacent pipe is 100% full.

I do not think this is intended as it did not do that in the past, and when I google searched for it to doublecheck I did not imagine something, I saw people on reddit saying "you dont need to stop your oil rig with circuits, they do it all by themselves without wasting the oil spots".

I know there was something that changed "All-Fluid" Recipes recently, so this MIGHT be the reason the Pumpjacks are now wasting the initial 80% of all Oil Spots even when they are backlogged, causing economical crisis' everywhere in a very sneaky and hard to notice way.

I do not believe I have any Mods that modify the actual Pumpjack behaviour, but I will provide a Save File regardless, the oil rig is to the bottom left of my Testing Area. I sequestered off a single Pumpjack and marked it with a stone arrow.
Attachments
World.zip
(11.23 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
factorio-current.log
(13.59 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.98] Pumpjacks keep working even though adjacent pipe is 100% full

Post by Loewchen »

Looks fine, the pumpjack is not full yet and once it is it stops working.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

How big of an internal tank do these things have then?

Edit: that's what i get for a slow oil spot, decided to beacon it up and at 500 it stopped... (according to the pipe network it was 600 but the pipe itself is 100)

Welp, that's what I get for removing advanced fluid handling and thinking "wait do i have invisible wifi pipes now?!", only to dig deeper but not deep enough to find that there is an internal buffer tank in those pumpjacks and that my oil spots are slow as fuck...
Last edited by GregoriusT on Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

To explain: Pumpjacks have an internal buffer, which isn't shown anywhere, but they fill it up even when no pipes are connected. It's released whenever there is space in adjacent pipes. The wiki suggests they have a buffer of 1000.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

It stops working once it has 500 or more, it can produce 1000 per cycle at maximum so I assume that is the volume.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Yep I ended up figuring out how to measure the buffer tank size, or at least the point at which it stops. took quite a bit without beacons...

Return to “Not a bug”