Version 0.13.12

Information about releases and roadmap.
jackack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Version 0.13.12

Post by jackack »

posila wrote: Nova wrote:
Um, one moment please. But vsync will still be "on" through windows, right? I would hate it if vsync was disabled and we would be forced to have tearing. I don't like tearing at all.

That is correct.
Unless you play on laptop with switchable graphics where it still might tear for some reason (but it was tearing even with vsync on, so no change there).
I've got a weird problem with tearing here. On the first launch after the upgrade, I load my save game and everything works fine, just as in 0.13.11, when V-Sync was enabled. After restarting Factorio and loading the same savegame I've got tearing.
I went back to 0.13.11, enabled V-Sync, restarted and it was fine again. I loaded an older savegame that had not been overwritten by the new version.
Upgraded to 0.13.12 again and on the first start it's cool. After restarting it's tearing again.

My system is a Desktop PC with Win10 64bit and AMD Radeon R9 200 Series graphics card.
Please let me know if you need further information for reproducing this.

Llama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Llama »

jackack wrote:
posila wrote: Nova wrote:
Um, one moment please. But vsync will still be "on" through windows, right? I would hate it if vsync was disabled and we would be forced to have tearing. I don't like tearing at all.

That is correct.
Unless you play on laptop with switchable graphics where it still might tear for some reason (but it was tearing even with vsync on, so no change there).
I've got a weird problem with tearing here. On the first launch after the upgrade, I load my save game and everything works fine, just as in 0.13.11, when V-Sync was enabled. After restarting Factorio and loading the same savegame I've got tearing.
I went back to 0.13.11, enabled V-Sync, restarted and it was fine again. I loaded an older savegame that had not been overwritten by the new version.
Upgraded to 0.13.12 again and on the first start it's cool. After restarting it's tearing again.

My system is a Desktop PC with Win10 64bit and AMD Radeon R9 200 Series graphics card.
Please let me know if you need further information for reproducing this.
I've had Vsync and/or stuttering on several games, I recommend using a frame limiter such as Rivatuner that comes with MSI Afterburner or via the AMD driver settings. It can prevent tearing, smooth out the frames (even if it claims to be 60fps, they might not be spaced evenly) and reduce heat/noise from drawing too many frames

jackack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jackack »

Llama wrote: I've had Vsync and/or stuttering on several games, I recommend using a frame limiter such as Rivatuner that comes with MSI Afterburner or via the AMD driver settings. It can prevent tearing, smooth out the frames (even if it claims to be 60fps, they might not be spaced evenly) and reduce heat/noise from drawing too many frames
Please let me clarify. I have no general tearing or vsync problem. The problem reproducibly occurs after upgrading from 0.13.11 to 0.13.12 and then restarting the game (at least) once.

InfidelGB
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by InfidelGB »

I am also getting screen tearing issues similar to those above that only start when updating to this version all other previous versions have been fine

Athmagor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Athmagor »

So the issue described here on the forum is back :cry:

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

same tearing problem here, but I fixed it in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
under Gaming => 3D Application Settings => Frame Rate Control you have the option to Wait for Vertical Refresh, which is by default Off, unless application specifies
by forcing it to Always on the tearing no longer occurred

admiralspark
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by admiralspark »

I mean....why would they remove functionality in the first place?

Prototik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Prototik »

Bisa wrote:Confirmed broken on Centos 7:
Headless-mode bug: OPENSSL_load_builtin_modules called. Aborting
Same for me on Arch Linux.
Coredump info: pastebin.com/3SjtA1tg
Coredump: drive.google.com/file/d/0BwgC9SNIz4OkWFpPN1kwWVh0ZjQ/view?usp=sharing

0.13.11 works flawlessly.

jackack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jackack »

dasiro wrote:same tearing problem here, but I fixed it in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
under Gaming => 3D Application Settings => Frame Rate Control you have the option to Wait for Vertical Refresh, which is by default Off, unless application specifies
I tried the same in "Radeon Settings", which I believe is the successor of CCC but interestingly enforcing V-Sync for Factorio had no effect for me.

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

jackack wrote:
dasiro wrote:same tearing problem here, but I fixed it in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
I tried the same in "Radeon Settings", which I believe is the successor of CCC but interestingly enforcing V-Sync for Factorio had no effect for me.
I've got a fairly old HD6850 so it's not supporting the latest drivers for newer cards. I'm using the default monitor driver from microsoft to connect my 27" WQHD (2560*1440) monitor via displayport (60hz) on Windows 10 pro build 10586.
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I switched my settings to always off and the tearing reappeared.
I can't guarantee it works for everyone, I merely pointed to a possible workaround (which may very well cause other problems I'm still unaware of).

5punk3monk3y
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 5punk3monk3y »

Just go in to the games config file and re-enable V-Sync (set it to true) it's in the Users>*whatever your user name is*>appdata>roaming>Factorio>config>config.ini file
Use notepad ++ to open it

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

I was shocked to find this also happened to me just as described. I'm still unsure why it was disabled in the first place. IMO: In its current state this makes the game unplayable.

A WORK AROUND
So after failing to find a force v-sync option for my hardware (I'm using the new Radeon Settings/advanced config now which I detest!!! as it has almost non of the features CCC used to have),
-- I found its still available in the config file returning the game to normal without the tearing for that session*.

Config file is (for steam) C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\config\config.ini
Find v-sync, change 'false' to 'true' then save. *As mentioned, this setting is reset so needs to be changed each launch of the game.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

If you're getting tearing on Windows with Desktop Composition enabled that indicates there might be something broken with your Windows and or graphics drivers.

Desktop composition on Windows forces a 1 frame buffer that prevents screen tearing:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ccc?auth=1
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... indows_81/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... ced_vsync/
http://superuser.com/questions/558007/h ... en-tearing

In internal testing on windows 7, windows 8, and windows 10 with Desktop Composition enabled on both Nvidia cards and ATI cards there's no tearing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mbattjes@gmail.com
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mbattjes@gmail.com »

jackack wrote:
Same here. I now have tearing and Radeon Settings cant fix it. I even tried turning transparency off in Windows 10 but that didnt help either. I tried D3DOverrider, Vista compatibility, disabling display scaling, disabling second monitor, running via DVI and HDMI, etc.
Fullscreen has tearing, in windowed mode i experience micro stutter (not always).
Please enable v-sync in-game... or give us borderless windowed. You can't even change desktop composition on Win10 so i wouldnt know how to fix it. Every other game i play works fine with v-sync, but forcing v-sync on (or off) has always been a troublesome process on ATI cards. I think it has something to do with borderless mode. The Radeon Settings options should work on exclusive full-screen so that's weird.

settings no work (R9 290X)

mbattjes@gmail.com
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mbattjes@gmail.com »

I'm now using the Borderless Gaming app to force borderless windowed mode. Works fine and there is no tearing. However, windowed mode gives me some kind of intermittent micro stutter. Not nearly as bad as the tearing though.
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

mbattjes@gmail.com wrote:I'm now using the Borderless Gaming app to force borderless windowed mode. Works fine and there is no tearing. However, windowed mode gives me some kind of intermittent micro stutter. Not nearly as bad as the tearing though.
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming
I had same micro stutters in d3d on full screen. They are semi random and really annoying - and when they happen game is certain it's at 60 fps on debug view.

Only thing that fixes it is actually going to config.ini and enabling vsync again.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

Unplayable. even at constant 60/60 ups/fps

Reverting back to 0.13.11

also Train bug from 0.13.10 is back viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29740
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29740

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

tehroach wrote:Unplayable. even at constant 60/60 ups/fps

That's a different setup than the bug report but I added a test for it and fixed it for 0.13.14.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

tehroach
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tehroach »

Rseding91 wrote:
tehroach wrote:Unplayable. even at constant 60/60 ups/fps

That's a different setup than the bug report but I added a test for it and fixed it for 0.13.14.
Thank you :)

also could you please test for diagonal tracks where the two tracks curve off in opposite directions at the same parallel point.
ie lay to diagonal track pieces side by side, then just curve them in opposite directions.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

What's the problem in your image? You can clearly see that the trains are wider than the rails and two trains can NOT pass each other on two diagonal rails like that.

Return to “Releases”