Factorio 0.15.xx - Laptop - Game crash, system freeze

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Taneeda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Factorio 0.15.xx - Laptop - Game crash, system freeze

Post by Taneeda »

Hi there,

I am playing factorio on my PC and on my laptop. On the PC i havent't any problems, but on my laptop, I face heavy runtime problems of factorio. The problems are:
  • Game stops, in best case it restores after ~15 seconds and continue running
  • Game crashs after stop
  • System freezes after stop
  • Today i got graphic fragments ~30 seconds after start, shortly after that the system was frozen and i had to reboot hard by power button
I attached a DxDiag file to this post, please let me know how I can help (additonal tests, test software builds, whatever :D )

Update:
Nobody? Are more information needed? (Windows 10 Home v1703 x64, Nvidia GeForce GTX 850m, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7-4700HQ)
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
factorio-current.log
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
DxDiag.txt
(84.59 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Last edited by Taneeda on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shit happens, don't worry, keep happy

OldFritz
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio 0.15.xx - Laptop - Game crash, system freeze

Post by OldFritz »

Hey Taneeda,

unfortunately i can't offer you any help, only the knowledge, you're not alone with this problem. It actually got so annoying, i instead continued playing my "old" 0.14 map.

I'm not sure if it is something with 0.15 or a problem with my pc, tough i had never any of these issues with 0.14. -which doesn't need to mean anything.

I'll monitor if i experience it again in a 0.14 play.

So long : /

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It seems like you are running with to high graphical settings and/or your laptop is overheating.
Please post Factorio log.

Also remember that if you use standalone and copy it from PC to laptop your graphical settings remain same which might not be advised.

@OldFritz
Log would be useful to see your VRAM capacity - 0.15 added more stuff so even base game on normal graphics needs more VRAM/RAM now.

AlienX
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlienX »

Hey,
I've noticed your laptop has both a nvidia GPU and the usual Intel On-Board GPU built into the CPU.

Does your laptop have the functionality to switch between these two GPU's, I recall that on my last AlienWare laptop that had a simalar GPU layout i was able to tell the Nvidia drivers to use the dedicated GPU or the intel one on a per-application basis.

From NVIDIA Control Panel
3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings
Tab "Global setttings" (also check / add the Factorio binary)
Preferred Graphics Processor
Select : High performance NVIDIA rocessor

See if this helps your issue.

Taneeda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Taneeda »

Hey guys,

thank for your help and letting me know that I am not the only one :D

I changed the NVIDIA settings and uploaded the log files to the main entry of this thread. I will try again with the new settings...

Greetings,
Ronald

Taneeda
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Taneeda »

Hello again,

meanwhile Factorio 0.15.34 is released and it seems that the game is much much more stable on my laptop. I still have crashes and such stuff (like described above) BUT it appears much more less then ever before. Don't know exactly why, i believe the reason relies in the latest updates of factorio and the nvidia graphics drivers and I hope the problems will be gone with future updates :)

Greetings,
Taneeda

Return to “Technical Help”