Why does LAN require internet connection?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Why does LAN require internet connection?

Post by Escadin »

First thing I was faced with when trying to host a LAN match without an active internet connection today was a nice error message "cannot connect to authentication server". Alright then, perhaps this is necessary to verify user idendity so I checked that off and it worked.
However, it doesn't stop here. Anyone trying to join me has to wait some 5-10 minutes (presumably some outside connection time out) before he can start loading the map and catching up. I guess we're lucky this timeout exists although it kinda feels like a backdoor more than a welcome.

Why is this necessary? LAN even happens through a completely seperate menu so there is no reason to mix functionality with online play. There is also no reason to assume an internet connection and as long as you sell your game as DRM free it shouldn't require one for anything else than online multiplayer and mod portal.
Last edited by Escadin on Sat May 06, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Gnark
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Why does LAN require internet connection?

Post by Gnark »

I think this is for players not sharing their copy of the game to play LAN.
Each one should have his game ...

Internet connection for LAN gaming is not a big issue, when you have LAN 99% of the time you have internet. Internet connection for solo is annoying.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Does the same thing happen if you uncheck "verify username"?

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Gnark wrote:I think this is for players not sharing their copy of the game to play LAN.

Internet connection for LAN gaming is not a big issue, when you have LAN 99% of the time you have internet. Internet connection for solo is annoying.
This game is supposed to be DRM free. There is no reason for LAN modus to require internet connection. At all.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Nexela wrote:Does the same thing happen if you uncheck "verify username"?
Do you mean "verify user idenity"? Because that's what I already mentioned in my OP.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Escadin wrote:
Gnark wrote:I think this is for players not sharing their copy of the game to play LAN.

This game is supposed to be DRM free. There is no reason for LAN modus to require internet connection. At all.
LAN with verify identity disabled is not supposed to connect to the internet at all. If there's weirdness happening, you should make a topic in bug reports.

saturn7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by saturn7 »

As far a I understand OP he got LAN to work without an internet connection, but people connecting to him had to wait 5-10min for some timeout, which indeed sounds like a bug.

Return to “General discussion”