[0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.14.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Nexela »

Deadly-Bagel wrote: While we're at it what is the gem sorting for? I'm mining gemstones and it's directly giving me the raw gems, not Unsorted Gemstone Ore.
bobconfig has an option to change gemstone mining to only return unsorted gems, which you then sort. The sort gems recipe is still enabled when the config is off in case you change the config and need to sort gems. or something along those lines, same reason that cobalt recipes from ore are still available even with cobalt ore turned off.

-scv-
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by -scv- »

whether turrets are grouped in "bonuses"?
Laser are grouped
"normal" and sniper are grouped not - each separately

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

I am experiencing very frequent desyncs when bots place inserters, whether they have Bob's configuration (ie: rotation, etc) or not. It seems more likely when the player is nearby. I think the desync happens more often when there is extra configuration. What information can I help supply to troubleshoot this? I have 40 desync reports from both save games, but I don't see anything useful in the log.

I run a heavily modded private server with Bob's, Angel's, and Marathon. This bug has persisted across our last game which started in October, to the current game. We have Bob's inserters 0.14.3. The other mods have changed, but the bug stays the same. I don't think Bob's inserters was updated.

It's also worth mentioning our players each have a separate force. This has caused issues with other mods.

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Demosthenex wrote:I am experiencing very frequent desyncs when bots place inserters, whether they have Bob's configuration (ie: rotation, etc) or not. It seems more likely when the player is nearby. I think the desync happens more often when there is extra configuration. What information can I help supply to troubleshoot this? I have 40 desync reports from both save games, but I don't see anything useful in the log.

I run a heavily modded private server with Bob's, Angel's, and Marathon. This bug has persisted across our last game which started in October, to the current game. We have Bob's inserters 0.14.3. The other mods have changed, but the bug stays the same. I don't think Bob's inserters was updated.

It's also worth mentioning our players each have a separate force. This has caused issues with other mods.
get another desync and upload the logs and desync reports of the players and server
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The latest version of bob inserters was to fix a desync issue, though I do have 0.14.3 as the latest.

A desync report might be useful, but if you go back to 0.14.0 (Before I did multiplayer on_tick optimisation) then you should have something stable to test if it is the inserters mod or not.

if my inserters mod is causing desyncs, then I guess I still need to fix things...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

new resources and recipes adds?

and new mercury component

and beautiful components))

and idea

I would like to add computer hardware..

types of hard disk, RAM and other equipment for export to the inhabitants of the Earth.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

kinnom wrote:
Demosthenex wrote:I am experiencing very frequent desyncs when bots place inserters, whether they have Bob's configuration (ie: rotation, etc) or not. It seems more likely when the player is nearby. I think the desync happens more often when there is extra configuration. What information can I help supply to troubleshoot this? I have 40 desync reports from both save games, but I don't see anything useful in the log.

get another desync and upload the logs and desync reports of the players and server
You say that, yet I've looked at the content of the desync zip file and the logs and I can't see any obvious error messages. Where should I place it? Should I PM Bob with a URL?

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

bobingabout wrote:The latest version of bob inserters was to fix a desync issue, though I do have 0.14.3 as the latest.

A desync report might be useful, but if you go back to 0.14.0 (Before I did multiplayer on_tick optimisation) then you should have something stable to test if it is the inserters mod or not.

if my inserters mod is causing desyncs, then I guess I still need to fix things...
I can't isolate the issue yet. Its only MP desyncs, and only when building from a ghost inserters with configurations. Inserters that are default don't have an issue. I have a long mod list though... I hope we can isolate the issue because I haven't been able to isolate a MWE.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Airat9000 wrote:new resources and recipes adds?

and new mercury component

and beautiful components))

and idea

I would like to add computer hardware..

types of hard disk, RAM and other equipment for export to the inhabitants of the Earth.
I'm not ignoring you by not responding, I just don't know what to say.

I do like the idea of some of the computer based stuff... but I see one of the future paths of computers to actually have RAM built into the CPU (Like Graphics cards, and most of the north bridge are these days. You even have USB, Network, Wifi, Hard drive controller and the like built into the CPU in some cases) so an "Everything in one chip" is what I see as the future of computing. As such, "CPU" components as used in my Processing Electronics board is my take on what a computer would look like in the future.
So although I like your idea... This is why I haven't done it already.

I'm not sure how well that will read when you feed it into google translate and turn it into Russian.

Other things like Mercury, I could add, but I'll only add new resources if there are at least 2 good uses for it. I could have added florine for Aluminium production, but didn't because at the time it was the only use for it. I did add cobalt for Li-Ion batteries, even though that was the only use at the time, because I had ideas to use it in alloys for other things.
Demosthenex wrote:I can't isolate the issue yet. Its only MP desyncs, and only when building from a ghost inserters with configurations. Inserters that are default don't have an issue. I have a long mod list though... I hope we can isolate the issue because I haven't been able to isolate a MWE.
You're not the only one with an issue. viewtopic.php?f=209&t=40226
Apparantly, when using blueprints to place inserters with configurations, there is something in the base game that isn't handled correctly.
Since 0.14 is considered "Final" now, I don't think we'll see a fix for this.
I also have a Patreon.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

What would it take to get a wood-->coal chemical plant recipe into these mods? It's a realistic process (albeit multi-step IRL) that would make wood much more useful in the mid and late game. As it stands, I find myself trying to update BurnTheWood from a 0.12 version and just hoping it works.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound douchy with this request. I love these mods and really appreciate the work it takes to do this. Thanks

chrisgbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by chrisgbk »

There is a subtle bug in bobmods.lib.table_merge: if table2 contains a sub-table that doesn't exist in table1 (ie: table1.sub-table == nil while table2.sub-table == {...}), or if the key exists in table1 but is NOT a table, the sub-table won't be merged from table2 into table1. This is because what would eventually be called would be table_merge(nil, {...}) or table_merge(value, {...}) instead of table_merge({...}, {...}).

I haven't actually tested this ingame, but I've tested it with a standalone Lua interpreter and it fails as mentioned above. This modification should fix it, by changing table_merge to explicitly check if the key exists in table1 and is also a table. If it doesn't the table is explicitly created first, overwriting any previous value. I chose to explicitly create a new table and merge it as opposed to the faster method of table1[index] = value (ie: deep copy over shallow copy), to avoid side effects later.

There isn't any difference between table_merge(table1[index], value) and table_merge(table1[index], table2[index]) as well, other than the first is very slightly more efficient by avoiding an extra lookup. Because in Lua, if given a = {...} and b = a, a and b point to the same table so inserting or changing keys in b is reflected in a, but reassigning a or b to a new table has no effect on the other.

Code: Select all

-- Merges table2's contents into table1.
function bobmods.lib.table_merge(table1, table2)
  for index, value in pairs(table2) do
    if (type(value) == "table") then
      if (type(table1[index]) ~= "table") then
        table1[index] = {}
      end
      bobmods.lib.table_merge(table1[index], value)
    else
      table1[index] = value
    end
  end
end

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

NewSwiss wrote:What would it take to get a wood-->coal chemical plant recipe into these mods? It's a realistic process (albeit multi-step IRL) that would make wood much more useful in the mid and late game. As it stands, I find myself trying to update BurnTheWood from a 0.12 version and just hoping it works.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound douchy with this request. I love these mods and really appreciate the work it takes to do this. Thanks
I tossed in the biofarm mod and ignored most of its content. It comes with a wood to coal chain.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

bobingabout wrote:The latest version of bob inserters was to fix a desync issue, though I do have 0.14.3 as the latest.

Hello Bob! please example code in entity recource to map
that would be a lot of resources I have the richness and quantity
3000 is a lot more that I customize for themselves) thank you!
2017-01-29_23-04-47.jpg
2017-01-29_23-04-47.jpg (328.69 KiB) Viewed 4893 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

NewSwiss wrote:What would it take to get a wood-->coal chemical plant recipe into these mods? It's a realistic process (albeit multi-step IRL) that would make wood much more useful in the mid and late game. As it stands, I find myself trying to update BurnTheWood from a 0.12 version and just hoping it works.

It's on my todo list for 0.15.

note: I've mentioned before, I am not actively working on mods for 0.14 any more, mostly due to the fact that I already know I'm effectively starting again when 0.15 hits, due to so many changes having to be made just to make things work.
chrisgbk wrote:There is a subtle bug in bobmods.lib.table_merge: if table2 contains a sub-table that doesn't exist in table1 (ie: table1.sub-table == nil while table2.sub-table == {...}), or if the key exists in table1 but is NOT a table, the sub-table won't be merged from table2 into table1. This is because what would eventually be called would be table_merge(nil, {...}) or table_merge(value, {...}) instead of table_merge({...}, {...}).

I haven't actually tested this ingame, but I've tested it with a standalone Lua interpreter and it fails as mentioned above. This modification should fix it, by changing table_merge to explicitly check if the key exists in table1 and is also a table. If it doesn't the table is explicitly created first, overwriting any previous value. I chose to explicitly create a new table and merge it as opposed to the faster method of table1[index] = value (ie: deep copy over shallow copy), to avoid side effects later.

There isn't any difference between table_merge(table1[index], value) and table_merge(table1[index], table2[index]) as well, other than the first is very slightly more efficient by avoiding an extra lookup. Because in Lua, if given a = {...} and b = a, a and b point to the same table so inserting or changing keys in b is reflected in a, but reassigning a or b to a new table has no effect on the other.

Code: Select all

-- Merges table2's contents into table1.
function bobmods.lib.table_merge(table1, table2)
  for index, value in pairs(table2) do
    if (type(value) == "table") then
      if (type(table1[index]) ~= "table") then
        table1[index] = {}
      end
      bobmods.lib.table_merge(table1[index], value)
    else
      table1[index] = value
    end
  end
end
I'll take a look at this again some time... but my table merge was never meant to be anything other people should use. It was literally something I needed for a specific job, and what I wrote did the job.

The specific job was to basically to allow you to perform a sweeping change to a prototype on a single line. EG, Changing health, speed, power usage etc for a construction robot, all in one go.

Which works until you start playing with multi-level tables, or unorganised layouts, like resistances (where the resistance type is specified as an entry within the table, rather than the table's name), or attack types (which can be a huge table in table mess)
I also have a Patreon.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

Any comment please with regards to what I asked previously? (as I quote myself below)

I posted the same thing twice so maybe third time is the charm
Mendel wrote:In the same spirit, would you please consider making synthetic wood it´s own separate research item so I can specifically decide whether I want to research synthetic wood or not?
(So researching plastics would not already automatically unlock synthetic wood. I need plastics but I dont usually want synthetic wood because of its effect on hand crafting stuff from real wood)

edit: perhaps this is a change best left for bob´s mods based on 0.15 version of factorio since the research will probably need a big overhaul for that anyways
Or did I just miss the reply? (goes to re-read the thread). Oh maybe you just didnt decide what to say yet :) Or you already replied to similar questions and don´t think what I am asking would be a good idea because you have thought about the issue previously and decided there is no solution?

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Bob, can you simplify the recipe list a bit? There shouldn't be any goods with a single use. Vanilla already skips a lot of intermediary steps via assemblers and it makes no sense to add those steps in with recipes.

Example: Ball bearings. These provide no interesting gameplay and the materials/crafting time should be folded into the bearing recipe.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Mendel wrote:Any comment please with regards to what I asked previously? (as I quote myself below)

I posted the same thing twice so maybe third time is the charm
Mendel wrote:In the same spirit, would you please consider making synthetic wood it´s own separate research item so I can specifically decide whether I want to research synthetic wood or not?
(So researching plastics would not already automatically unlock synthetic wood. I need plastics but I dont usually want synthetic wood because of its effect on hand crafting stuff from real wood)

edit: perhaps this is a change best left for bob´s mods based on 0.15 version of factorio since the research will probably need a big overhaul for that anyways
Or did I just miss the reply? (goes to re-read the thread). Oh maybe you just didnt decide what to say yet :) Or you already replied to similar questions and don´t think what I am asking would be a good idea because you have thought about the issue previously and decided there is no solution?
I can't remember if I have or haven't replied on the subject, but the current line of thinking is basically "It's more trouble than it's worth", and for 0.15, the current plan is to remove it, and just make wood straight from oil.

But still, not until 0.15.

Mylon wrote:Bob, can you simplify the recipe list a bit? There shouldn't be any goods with a single use. Vanilla already skips a lot of intermediary steps via assemblers and it makes no sense to add those steps in with recipes.

Example: Ball bearings. These provide no interesting gameplay and the materials/crafting time should be folded into the bearing recipe.
Maybe. Can you make a bigger list?

Though, again, I'm unlikely to make the change until 0.15.
I also have a Patreon.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Someone pointed out if you tell the Synthetic Wood recipe to require crafting in an Assembly Machine (which is necessary anyway as you can't hold liquids yourself) it fixes the problem.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

Does anyone actually use/need synthetic wood? If so, why?
As bob said, the plan is to remove it entirely, so you random syntetic wood lover, now is your time to stand up and defend it if you dont want it gone :D (I never use them so they might as well be gone if you ask me)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Mendel wrote:Does anyone actually use/need synthetic wood? If so, why?
As bob said, the plan is to remove it entirely, so you random syntetic wood lover, now is your time to stand up and defend it if you dont want it gone :D (I never use them so they might as well be gone if you ask me)
It was really needed before advent of greenhouse mods.
Now there are quite a few of those so you can grow all this wood needed for electronics :D

Return to “Bob's mods”